Many employers are looking at resumes on a daily basis, so it’s important to have yours looking pristine. Many tips you hear about resumes seem really nit-picky, but if you looked at them every day you would notice every imperfection as well. That being said, here are a few tips to get you a step ahead of the competition and secure your dream internship!
1. Avoid saying words such as, team player, hard working, determined, etc. Let you accomplishments speak for you.
2. Employers would much rather hear about you accomplishments than what you were “responsible for” at previous jobs.
Bad Example: Responsible for social media marketing
Good Example: Increased website visitors by 50% through social media marketing channels
3. Customize your resume for different employers. An accounting firm isn’t going to care if you played high school hockey, but a professional hockey team will.
4. Save your resume as a pdf when sending it to employers to avoid any formatting issues.
5. If you are an accounting/finance major, don’t get too artsy. But, if you are in a creative field such as marketing or design, feel free to add a splash of color. But don’t go overboard.
6. Try to keep your resume to one page. If employers want to know more they will contact you or look you up on LinkedIn, which leads to the next tip.
7. Put a link to your LinkedIn on your resume. You can create your own custom url too.
8. Avoid saying words such as, team player, hard working, determined, etc. Let you accomplishments speak for you.
9. Don’t be afraid to show off. You won’t sound cocky, everyone is doing it.
Comment below some of your favorite resume tips that really stood out to employers!
Delta Sigma Pi | Grand Valley State University